I’ve been remiss in posting, but a conversation with a friend today gave me a subject to write about.
We were discussing our weekend plans and I mentioned I’m doing a 5k (3.1 miles race).
She replied with something like, “Sounds fun.”
And my response was, “I hate 5ks.”
And she said the equivalent of, “If you hate running so much, why do it? You shouldn’t hate your hobby.”
Think about that a second and form your own opinion. What do YOU think about hating a hobby?
Ever since that conversation I’ve had a particular Dorothy Parker quote running in loops in my head, “I hate writing, I love having written.” That’s how I feel about writing most of the time. It’s awesome to have done it, but most days it’s pure torture to start and to continue to writing.
That’s pretty much how I feel about running.
Except I have even less skill/aptitude when it comes to running. Boggles the mind, doesn’t it?!?
So why do I continue trying to run?
1) I like quantifiable goals. Mileage is measurable.
2) I like how I feel AFTER I’ve run. Okay, not the aches and pains, but I like feeling tired and like my stress has been beaten back a bit.
3) Runner’s high. Only kidding, I’ve never experienced runner’s high, but it SOUNDS like something to chase after doesn’t it?
4) I like a challenge where the success is (mostly) dependent on my effort and discipline.
5) Bling and Swag! What other hobby rewards you with medals, ribbons, and a collection of ugly shirts?
6) The Impossible Dream — I’m completely convinced that achieving the “impossible” in one area of your life makes other things much less daunting.
So tomorrow I’ll do the 5k. It’s a small group so I’ll probably finish last and that’s okay, because I’ll still be lapping everyone sitting on their couch…okay, it starts at 6:30 a.m. so I’ll probably lap everyone asleep in their beds. 🙂
Hopefully it will help relieve some of the stress I’m under. (Hahaha! If you only KNEW what I’m stressing over you’d understand the circles under my eyes.)
But at least there’s the promise of bling!
What do YOU think about hating a hobby? Any hobbies you hate?